About Brainstorm Productions
Brainstorm Productions Vision Statement and Anti-Bullying Commitment:
Brainstorm Productions is proud to tour live, innovative, interactive educational theatre that brings about positive social change through a range of bullying programs, cyber safety programs, positive behaviour programs, resilience programs and mental health programs for schools. We tackle bullying in school, cyber bullying, cyber safety, violence, prejudice, under-age drinking, binge drinking, teenage drug abuse, youth depression, eating disorders, family separation, values, ethics and discrimination.
Through our range of award-winning educational theatre programs, our aim is to:
- Empower students with real-life strategies to help enhance their mental health, resilience and wellbeing
- Reduce the incidence of bullying, cyber bullying and aggressive behaviour in schools
- Help students understand the importance of developing respectful relationships at school, at home and online
- Provide teachers with a range of unique student wellbeing resources and pastoral care activities, to enhance existing anti-bullying, wellbeing and cyber safety programs
- Help students develop a greater understanding of cyber safety and digital citizenship
- Provide bystanders of bullying and aggressive behaviour with the tools and confidence to support their friends and peers
- Engage students in live, interactive theatre, using authentic real-world youth experiences, that are designed to help develop student self-awareness and empathy for others
- Use young professional actors as role models to inspire a new generation to participate in and appreciate the arts
We are committed to reducing bullying in schools and encouraging positive student behaviours by incorporating sound educational principles with a creative, entertaining, engaging and action packed theatrical experience. Our live in-school performances have been created to leave a lasting impression and challenge even the most cynical students to examine their patterns of behaviour.
We are ethical, independent, inclusive and affordable. This is why 99.7% of teachers recommend Brainstorm Productions*. Click here to BOOK NOW.
Meet our current team of actors: Click here
*Of the 1200 feedback forms received from January to June - 99.7% of teachers said that they would recommend Brainstorm Productions to other schoools
Brainstorm Productions is one of the largest and most respected educational theatre companies in Australia, entertaining over 360,000 students every year for over 30 years.
We are the proud winners of:
- 'Best School Bullying Prevention Project' by The Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association’s STAAR Awards
- ‘Award for Excellence for Performances in Schools’ from NSW Department of Education and Training (winner for 10 consecutive years)
- ‘Australian Violence Prevention Award’ from The Department of Criminology
- 'PINS Award for Excellence' from Performers in Schools (winner for 8 consecutive years)
- 'Best Cyber Smart Project' 2018 Runner-Up at The Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association’s STAAR Awards
We receive hundreds of heart-warming messages from children and teachers across Australia.
To read what schools are saying about Brainstorm Productions, click here.
Charities Brainstorm supports
- Bear Cottage
- Youth off the Streets
- Amnesty International
- Salvation Army
- Doctors without Borders
- The Luke Batty Foundation
Brainstorm Productions is also a member of Green Fleet.
Official R U OK? School Partner.
Channel 10 Documentary ‘From The Quadrangle’
Brainstorm Productions dedication to anti-bullying in schools was recognised in the Channel 10 documentary ‘From The Quadrangle’ to coincide with the National Day of Action against Bullying and Violence. Here is an excerpt from the documentary, including interviews with teachers and students about how Brainstorm Productions provides schools with real-life strategies to help students stand together against bullying.
Mamamia - Australia's Largest Online Women's Magazine
Click here to read Mamamia article '24/7 Cyber bullying: Cruel, relentless and with absolutely no escape for kids' featuring Brainstorm Productions.
If you or someone you know requires immediate assistance, then please call either Emergency Services (000) or Lifeline (13 11 14).
- Writer and Artistic Director. Jennifer Johnson has over 30 years’ experience in the arts and at all levels of education including Southern Cross University.
- Musical Director and Composer. Sean Peter has worked with many of Australia’s leading arts companies including:
- The Sydney Theatre company
- Company B
- Sydney Symphony Orchestra
- Sydney Opera House
- Disney Channel
- Music Theatre Productions ‘Hairspray’, ‘Fame’ and ‘King Kong’
- Mental Health Consultant. Dr Ameika Johnson is a registered clinical psychologist. She holds a Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Master of Science from the University of Sydney, with research publications in a range of psychology areas, including child and adolescent emotional development, parenting and antisocial behaviour.
- Choreographer and Movement Coach. Matthew Wells is a graduate of the University of Western Sydney and Jacque Lecoq International School for Theatre Arts in Paris.
- Guest Creative Talents. Brainstorm has also incorporated the creative talents of Bryan Moses, Neridah Waters, Andrew Cory, Alethea Jones and many other arts and educational theatre professionals.
- Administrative Team. Our specialist team are responsible for training all our actors in every facet of WH&S, Codes of Conduct in Schools and ensuring all actors are screened to work with children. The team is also on hand to help make the booking process simple, efficient and stress free for teachers and school administration staff.
- Kas Curtis - Bookings Manager
- James Grant - Fleet & Stage Manager
- Tamara MacRae - Accounts Officer
- Joceyn Perritt - Tour Coordinator
- Peter Sainsbury - Human Resource Manager
- Website Design. Gemma Heggie (www.digitalspice.com.au)
- Costume Design and Creation. Loretta Egan (www.lorettaegan.com.au)
- Photography. Gillian Perry (www.gillianperryfoto.com), Jacklyn Wagner Photography & Kate Holmes (www.kateholmesphotographer.com.au)
- Videography. Peter Frare, Simpatico Industries
- Additional Graphic Design / Illustrators. Kylie Bridges (www.kyliebridges.com) & Story of Us (www.thestoryofus.com.au)
We’re here to help! To make a booking or talk to one of our friendly team please click here or free call 1800 676 224.
Meet the Actors
We take great delight in casting and directing talented young actors, who become great role models for children across Australia.
Stephanie: The H Team + The Flipside
Hello! My name is Steph and I'm very excited to be joining the Brainstorm team! I am originally from Melbourne, but I lived in Ballarat for three years while studying Music Theatre at Federation University.
Prior to Brainstorm, I was lucky enough to perform in Opera Australia's production of Faust, as well as perform a self devised cabaret at Chapel Off Chapel. In my spare time I love reading, drinking tea and training in Shukokai karate.
I'm super thrilled to be touring these fantastic shows!
Callum: Buddies + Cyberia
Hi, my name’s Callum. I was born in Brisbane and have lived there all my life. After I completed The QLD Conservatorium Bachelor of Musical Theatre Course in 2018, I went on to play Cohen in Yank! A WWII Love Story (2019), and Isaac in Define “Adult” (2018).
I’m a massive movie fan and have always loved performing theatre. I’m incredibly excited to be performing with Brainstorm in 2020, which sheds light on some incredibly important topics that I am very passionate in discussing and dissecting.
Kiara: Saving Lil & Archie + Verbal Combat
Hey there! My name is Kiara and I am a graduate of the Australian Institute of Music (Bachelor of Music, Majoring in Music Theatre).
I come from a wonderful, culturally diverse family and have spent many years studying traditional and modern forms of dance, song and theatre. I am so excited to join the Brainstorm family again in 2020. See you on the road!
Tom: Saving Lil & Archie + Verbal Combat
I am exuberant to be returning to Brainstorm in 2020. I previously toured with Brainstorm in 2017 and 2019 after completing a Bachelor of Music majoring in Musical Theatre at the Australian Institute of Music.
Between my two tours I have worked with Opera Australia on their production of Aida and have been teaching Acting to school age students. I'm stoked to see what this new tour brings.
Jess: The H Team + The Flipside
Hey friends! I’m Jess and I have been movin’ and groovin’ my way through life for as long as I can remember! I am originally from Sydney but I have also lived in Melbourne, where I studied Music Theatre at the VCA, and in the UK. I love to create and most recently directed a new Australian song cycle called ‘Songs of the Northern River’. Prior to that I worked at the VCA as the assistant director of ‘On The Town’ and as the choreographer and assistant director of ‘Everything’s Coming Up Sondheim’, performed at Chapel off Chapel. I have had the pleasure of dancing with some super cool singers including Jessie J, Mel B and LMFAO.
One of my favourite things about performing is being able to shape the next generation and I have worked with youth on shows such Grease, Aladdin Jnr, Beauty and the Beast Jnr and many original works. I am really looking forward to touring with Brainstorm and meeting all the friendly faces. As a kid, I didn’t realise I could have a career as a performer because I never saw people like myself on stage, so I am really excited to inspire other young people that they can pursue what they love too! Hopefully we can teach each other a thing or two!
Alex: Buddies + Cyberia
Hi! My name’s Alex, and I’ve been acting for as long as I can remember having a dream! I hail from a small town in regional NSW, and I got the chance to see Brainstorm shows while in high school, so to be able to follow my passion and help kids in regional areas in my career is almost too good to be true.
I’ve trained with numerous groups, including the University of New England, NIDA, and Felt Tip Theatre Company. I have a lot of individuals to thank for helping me get to where I am today, but I’d just like to thank my parents’ cat, Fraggle, for always letting me cuddle him when I’m back home.
Daniel: The H Team + The Flipside
G'day! My name is Daniel, and I am an actor from the historical city of Ballarat. When my careers counsellor told me that a career as a Pokémon Trainer was unlikely, I decided acting was the next best course of action.
Having just completed my Bachelor of Acting for Stage and Screen at the Federation University Arts Academy, I am very excited to commence my first ever tour with Brainstorm! I love the high energy and hilarity found in 'The H-Team', and how 'The Flipside' so accurately depicts both the hazards, and the benefits that can come from living in the age of information. I can't wait to share these stories with school across Australia, and see what exciting adventures await on the road ahead!
Danielle: The Human Race + Cyberia
I’m 23 years old and am very happy to be a part of the Brainstorm family in 2020. I studied acting in Sydney and since graduating I have been actively performing, devising and writing plays for Sydney audiences.
I’m so grateful to have this opportunity to work with children, educate and share with them my love and excitement for theatre.
I love to read, sing and see a lot of live theatre. Like, a lot. Sometimes I’d be maintaining 2-3 shows a week on average. I wonder if I can keep my average up this year - challenge accepted!
Domenico: The Human Race + Cyberia
Ciao! My name is Domenico, or Dom for short. I’m a small country town guy who is so excited to be living and working in the city, doing what I’m most passionate about: performing and education.
I graduated from the University of Wollongong with a Bachelor of Performance (Theatre) degree in 2017, where I discovered my passion for movement-based and physical theatre.
I enjoy gaming, reading and cycling in my downtime, and whenever I can, I go home to see my family, including my two beautiful Kelpies and Pomeranian Jack Russell.
I am thrilled to be touring shows that send such positive messages and hope you enjoy the performances!
Miriam: Buddies + Cyberia
Hi! My name is Miriam and I’m super excited to be touring in Victoria and South Australia with Brainstorm Productions. I hail from a big boisterous family in Brisbane, where I picked up my love for singing, acting, dancing and grooving. I studied at Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Musical Theatre, a few good life skills, and many fond memories.
I’ve been lucky enough to be part of many wonderful shows including most recently, Queensland Music Festival Youth Touring’s ‘Time Jump’ and ‘An Experiment with the White Earth’. I can’t wait to get on the road and share ‘Buddies’ and 'Cyberia’ with everyone!
Carlo: The H Team + The Flipside
Hey! My name's Carlo, I’m a Gold Coast boy born and raised! In 2016, I was accepted into the Bachelor of Musical Theatre at Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University. During my time there, I performed a bunch of roles including, Robert in Company and Joe Vegas in Fame the Musical. I also originated the role of Barry Bagsley in the world premiere of Don’t Call Me Ishmael: The Musical (Underground Broadway), a new Australian work. Since graduating I have performed in numerous works, including starring in Sweet Charity (Understudy Productions), Wicked (Matt Ward Entertainment) and most recently Oh, What A Night (SKS Entertainment).
I'm thrilled to be sharing my talents with Brainstorm Productions in 2020. Fun fact, I wanted to be a children’s psychologist and work in schools ever since I was little. Brainstorm has now given me the chance to perform AND educate children on important issues our youth face every day.
Sheree: Buddies + Cyberia
Hey! I'm Sheree and I'm a performing artist from North Brisbane. I started dancing at the age of 7 and I never looked back, there was nothing else I wanted to do other than be on stage. Of course then, I had to learn to sing and act in order to take advantage of every opportunity. I've since graduated a full-time dance course at Village Nation Performing Arts, performed in countless children's shows, toured nationally with a Cabaret, performed at Adelaide Fringe Festival and developed a great love for teaching. I've spent the last 3 years teaching Dance and Musical Theatre to kids of all ages and just recently travelled to the United States to teach dance at a Summer Camp.
I struck gold with this opportunity to work for Brainstorm as it is a combination of all of my favourite things: travel, performing and teaching. I cannot wait to begin this adventure and deliver the incredibly important message of connecting with and supporting each other.
Chris: Cheap Thrills
Hi everybody! My name is Chris and I'm a passionate performer from the Darling Downs in Queensland. In recent times I've performed for Prince Charles and worked as a member of the internationally renowned children’s entertainment group 'Hi-5'. I also play the role of Cheeko in the ABC Kids TV Series 'Team Rescue' and I've done back-up singing for pop superstar Adele.
Some of my other career highlights include Simon Gallaher’s 'The Pirates of Penzance', Johnny Casino in 'Grease: The Arena Experience', Ken in 'Barbie: Anything is Possible', and creating new children’s television content with the original yellow Wiggle, Greg Page.
For my training, I studied a Bachelor of Music (Musical Theatre) at Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University and a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Theatre) at The University of Southern Queensland.
Brainstorm Productions have been amazing to me in the past, and I'm so excited to be taking on the one man show 'Cheap Thrills' for my second tour!