About Brainstorm Productions
Brainstorm Productions Vision Statement and Anti-Bullying Commitment:
Brainstorm Productions is proud to tour live, innovative, interactive educational theatre that brings about positive social change through a range of bullying programs, cyber safety programs, positive behaviour programs, resilience programs and mental health programs for schools. We tackle bullying in school, cyber bullying, cyber safety, violence, prejudice, under-age drinking, binge drinking, teenage drug abuse, youth depression, eating disorders, family separation, values, ethics and discrimination.
Through our range of award-winning educational theatre programs, our aim is to:
- Empower students with real-life strategies to help enhance their mental health, resilience and wellbeing
- Reduce the incidence of bullying, cyber bullying and aggressive behaviour in schools
- Help students understand the importance of developing respectful relationships at school, at home and online
- Provide teachers with a range of unique student wellbeing resources and pastoral care activities, to enhance existing anti-bullying, wellbeing and cyber safety programs
- Help students develop a greater understanding of cyber safety and digital citizenship
- Provide bystanders of bullying and aggressive behaviour with the tools and confidence to support their friends and peers
- Engage students in live, interactive theatre, using authentic real-world youth experiences, that are designed to help develop student self-awareness and empathy for others
- Use young professional actors as role models to inspire a new generation to participate in and appreciate the arts
We are committed to reducing bullying in schools and encouraging positive student behaviours by incorporating sound educational principles with a creative, entertaining, engaging and action packed theatrical experience. Our live in-school performances have been created to leave a lasting impression and challenge even the most cynical students to examine their patterns of behaviour.
We are ethical, independent, inclusive and affordable. This is why 99.7% of teachers recommend Brainstorm Productions*. Click here to BOOK NOW.
Meet our current team of actors: Click here
*Of the 1200 feedback forms received from January to June - 99.7% of teachers said that they would recommend Brainstorm Productions to other schoools
Brainstorm Productions is one of the largest and most respected educational theatre companies in Australia, entertaining over 360,000 students every year for over 30 years.
We are the proud winners of:
- 'Best School Bullying Prevention Project' by The Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association’s STAAR Awards
- ‘Award for Excellence for Performances in Schools’ from NSW Department of Education and Training (winner for 10 consecutive years)
- ‘Australian Violence Prevention Award’ from The Department of Criminology
- 'PINS Award for Excellence' from Performers in Schools (winner for 8 consecutive years)
- 'Best Cyber Smart Project' 2018 Runner-Up at The Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association’s STAAR Awards
We receive hundreds of heart-warming messages from children and teachers across Australia.
To read what schools are saying about Brainstorm Productions, click here.
Charities Brainstorm supports
- Bear Cottage
- Youth off the Streets
- Amnesty International
- Salvation Army
- Doctors without Borders
- The Luke Batty Foundation
Brainstorm Productions is also a member of Green Fleet.
PARTNERSHIPS & CERTIFICATION
Official R U OK? School Partner.
Channel 10 Documentary ‘From The Quadrangle’
Brainstorm Productions dedication to anti-bullying in schools was recognised in the Channel 10 documentary ‘From The Quadrangle’ to coincide with the National Day of Action against Bullying and Violence. Here is an excerpt from the documentary, including interviews with teachers and students about how Brainstorm Productions provides schools with real-life strategies to help students stand together against bullying.
Mamamia - Australia's Largest Online Women's Magazine
Click here to read Mamamia article '24/7 Cyber bullying: Cruel, relentless and with absolutely no escape for kids' featuring Brainstorm Productions.
If you or someone you know requires immediate assistance, then please call either Emergency Services (000) or Lifeline (13 11 14).
- Writer and Artistic Director. Jennifer Johnson has over 30 years’ experience in the arts and at all levels of education including Southern Cross University.
- Musical Director and Composer. Sean Peter has worked with many of Australia’s leading arts companies including:
- The Sydney Theatre company
- Company B
- Sydney Symphony Orchestra
- Sydney Opera House
- Disney Channel
- Music Theatre Productions ‘Hairspray’, ‘Fame’ and ‘King Kong’
- Mental Health Consultant. Dr Ameika Johnson is a registered clinical psychologist. She holds a Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Master of Science from the University of Sydney, with research publications in the areas of child and adolescent emotional wellbeing and antisocial behaviour.
- Choreographer and Movement Coach. Matthew Wells is a graduate of the University of Western Sydney and Jacque Lecoq International School for Theatre Arts in Paris.
- Guest Creative Talents. Brainstorm has also incorporated the creative talents of Bryan Moses, Neridah Waters, Andrew Cory, Alethea Jones and many other arts and educational theatre professionals.
- Administrative Team. Our specialist team are responsible for training all our actors in every facet of WH&S, Codes of Conduct in Schools and ensuring all actors are screened to work with children. The team is also on hand to help make the booking process simple, efficient and stress free for teachers and school administration staff.
- Kas Curtis - Bookings Manager
- James Grant - Fleet & Stage Manager
- Tamara MacRae - Accounts Officer
- Joceyn Perritt - Tour Coordinator
- Peter Sainsbury - Human Resource Manager
- Sarah Frare - Marketing
- Website Design. Gemma Heggie (www.digitalspice.com.au)
- Costume Design and Creation. Loretta Egan (www.lorettaegan.com.au)
- Photography. Gillian Perry (www.gillianperryfoto.com) & Jacklyn Wagner Photography
- Additional Graphic Design / Illustrators. Kylie Bridges (www.kyliebridges.com) & Story of Us (www.thestoryofus.com.au)
We’re here to help! To make a booking or talk to one of our friendly team please click here or free call 1800 676 224.
Meet the Actors
We take great delight in casting and directing talented young actors, who become great role models for children across Australia.
Ashton: The Human Race + The Flipside
Hello, I am Ashton, an actor and physical theatre performer. I moved from a small town of 500 people to Melbourne to study acting at the Victorian College of Arts. I love to perform so I create a lot of my own work, having devised physical theatre shows for Adelaide Fringe and Melbourne Fringe 2015 and 2016.
I can’t believe what started as a little dream to be an actor fuelled by seeing a Brainstorm show when I was 13 has led me to be part of the touring company! I am so excited to inspire the next generation of performers and to educate kids in an interactive and memorable way.
Isaac: The Human Race + The Flipside
Hi, I'm Isaac and I'm a Melbourne-based actor. Since graduating from the Queensland Conservatorium in 2016, I've featured in roles on stage both in Brisbane and Melbourne; Benny, RENT, QPAC (2018) and Gator, Memphis, Australasian Premiere, Stage Art (2017).
I'm very keen to tour with Brainstorm in 2019 and can't wait to share stories with children that are relevant for the their generation and help shed a light on the issues young people face today.
Kiara: Saving Lil & Archie + Verbal Combat
Hey there! My name is Kiara and I am a graduate of the Australian Institute of Music (Bachelor of Music, Majoring in Music Theatre).
I come from a wonderful, culturally diverse family and have spent many years studying traditional and modern forms of dance, song and theatre. I am so excited to join the Brainstorm family and be part of their 2019 tour group. See you on the road!
Tom: Saving Lil & Archie + Verbal Combat
I am exuberant to be returning to Brainstorm in 2019. I previously toured with Brainstorm in 2017 after completing a Bachelor of Music majoring in Musical Theatre at the Australian Institute of Music.
Between my two tours I have worked with Opera Australia on their production of Aida and have been teaching Acting to school age students. I'm stoked to see what this new tour brings.
Karli: The Human Race + The Flipside
Hi all! This is my second year touring with Brainstorm and I absolutely love it! Being able to perform whilst visiting so many different and exciting places makes this one of the best jobs! Before Brainstorm I studied Acting and Theatre at the University of Southern Queensland and I am also very interested in dance, health and fitness.
This year I am looking forward to being able to revisit the schools that I performed at last year, with two totally different shows. From personal experience growing up, and even as an adult, I relate to the issues that these plays address. Hence, I feel so proud that I can perform these stories for thousands of kids around different parts of Australia!
Brodie: The Human Race + The Flipside
Raised in central Queensland, I find travelling the country one of the best parts of working as a Brainstormer. I trained in acting at USQ in Toowoomba from 2012-14 and have worked as an independent artist/producer in Brisbane including a founding member of Share House Theatre Co.
In my spare time I focus on fitness, video games, theatre and food. I can’t thank all the Brainstorm team enough for providing me this opportunity of a life-time.
Rachel: The Protectors + The Hurting Game
I first discovered my passion for performing at the age of 9 in the professional production of The Sound of Music as Marta Von Trapp. The following year, I was lucky enough to play Annie in Annie (Gordon Frost Organisation), for which I was awarded Variety Heart Young Entertainer of the Year.
In 2008, I moved to Singapore where I achieved a First-Class Honours in Musical Theatre (BA Hons) from LASALLE College of the Arts. After graduating, I spent a year working as an actor, singer, dancer and teacher in Singapore during which time I played Martha in Spring Awakening (Pangdemonium Productions).
After 4 years in Asia, I moved to London and continued working in the industry in various different capacities for 3 and half years; including, working for Sir Cameron Mackintosh (producer of such shows as Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Mary Poppins).
I consider myself extremely lucky to have had some incredible experiences so far throughout my career and I can’t wait to continue my passion for performing and travelling with Brainstorm!
Jasper: The Protectors + The Hurting Game
Hi! My name's Jasper, I'm 21 years old and live in Sydney. After studying media & communications for three years at Sydney University, I'm taking a break from my studies to tour with Brainstorm in 2019!
I’ve taught music lessons since leaving high school and I am excited to combine my passion for theatre with my love of teaching. I’m looking forward to seeing some new places on tour, as well as both entertaining and helping audiences to engage with important issues.
In my spare time, I like watching sport, playing music and of course, acting.
Pia: Being Brave + Verbal Combat
Hi, I’m Pia and I’m very excited to be working for Brainstorm Productions in 2019. I’m a musical theatre performer hailing from good ol' Brisbane. I went to University at The Queensland Conservatorium and graduated with a Bachelor of Music majoring in Musical Theatre and the Griffith Award for Excellence.
I’ve done several productions such as ‘Carrie the Musical’, ‘The Owl and the Pussycat’ and was a Rob Guest Endowment Award Semi-finalist. I look forward to touring Victoria and beyond with ‘Being Brave’ and ‘Verbal Combat’ this year!
Blake: Being Brave + Verbal Combat
Queensland born and raised, I still can’t find where my mother hid my Hogwarts acceptance letter. Since I couldn’t become a wizard, I took up the only profession where I could pretend to be one: acting.
I studied acting at USQ in 2010 before going on to perform in numerous theatre shows including "Twelfth Night" (2010), "Trolley Boys" (2010), "The Seagull" (2015), "Comedy of Errors" (2015) and "Two Weeks with the Queen" (2016). I seriously love working for Brainstorm so much this will be my THIRD tour, having already toured "Cyberia" (2013), "The Protectors" (2013) and "Wired" (2014).
In addition to theatre, I have also been heavily involved in screen work, starring in many film and TV projects, such as "All That Was Lost" (2011), "Hot Chaps" (2011), "Teen Ninja" (2013), "Fractured Fairy-tale" (2016), “Poster Boy” (2017), “Two Weeks” the web-series(2017), and “After she’s gone” (2018). All of this is in the pursuit of my dream job: Voicing Disney/Animated films.
Guy: Sticks & Stones K-6 + Sticks & Stones 7-10
Hi I’m Guy, and I DID get my letter from Hogwarts (sorry Blake).
I’m an actor and performer from Melbourne.
I started acting in 2014 and have been lucky enough to work at theme parks, be on TV, and travel internationally for work. I even starred in a feature film. The majority of my experience is in theatre and theatre is what I love. I love seeing, reading, writing and performing theatre.
I’m also a bit of a hermit. I move around a lot and don’t like clutter. So I am very excited to tour and live out of a suitcase whilst working for Brainstorm.
I am very passionate about the story of Sticks & Stones. It is very real to me and close to my heart. I can’t wait to share this story over the duration of my tour, and perhaps beyond...?
Harry: Sticks & Stones K-6 + Sticks & Stones 7-10
Hello Friends! My Name is Harry and I am 22 years of age. I'm a Brisbane based Actor who loves nothing more than putting smiles on faces. I graduated from the University of Southern Queensland with a Bachelor of Creative Arts in Theatre (Acting) in 2017. I'm super keen to be a Brainstormer this year as I will be touring Sydney and Melbourne whilst performing, entertaining, and sharing significant stories with young audiences.
If I'm not acting I'm listening to music. My soul breathes music, I need it to live. I think it's essential that everyone gets their daily dose of head bangers. And in my spare time I enjoy fitness and dancing.
I look forward to touring Sticks and Stones this year as I know I will have plenty of fun and I'll share this fun with everyone. I did a rhyme. Harry out.
Blake: Cheap Thrills
G’day, I’m Blakey Boy. I enjoy the simple things in life. I don’t mind myself some sport, theatre, film, and travel. I graduated from AIM dramatic arts in 2014 and have since done a range of different performance and creative roles. I just love entertaining others and telling stories.
I’m keen to tour Brainstorm’s Cheap Thrills show for students of all ages and backgrounds. I thoroughly enjoy working with young people - they engage in an imaginative and thoughtful way, and it keeps me in touch with my inner youthfulness too.
It thrills me that I have the opportunity to empower young people to take action and stay strong in their values. Make a difference and have fun while doing so? Yes please! Bring on cheap thrills 2019.
Jake: Wired + The Hurting Game
Hi guys, Jake here. I’m a 22-year-old performer who graduated with a Bachelor of Performance from the University of Wollongong (2016). After completing my degree I’ve moved back to the big smoke and have been spending most of my time teaching drama workshops for children.
I’m completely obsessed with my two Staffys and will be seen spending all of my spare time with them. I’m so stoked to be touring with Brainstorm and having the opportunity to engage with students and address such pertinent subject matter.
Maddison: Wired + The Hurting Game
Hi there! My name is Maddy and I’m a 23 year old actress who grew up in Queensland. In 2015, I graduated from QUT with a Bachelor of Fine Arts: Acting and made the move down to NSW. Since living in Sydney, I have performed in a number of independent theatre shows, most recently Shakespeare By Night at The Old Fitz.
In 2017 I completed my first educational tour, however have had a passion for the work ever since being an audience member myself in high school. Therefore, it’s a dream to be part of Brainstorm’s 2019 troupe. I cannot wait to travel again sharing both an important message and a passion for performance!